Tuesday 7 December 2010

Lizzie Buwu : Images Of America

The picture I picked was a picture of a little American Muslim girl. I found it quite positive. Although the image doesn’t immediately shout America at readers or people looking at it, I feel it represents a New America. The presence of a little girl with an American flag and a head scarf suggests the new American generation’s face has no religion. The term muslim in America is normally met with negative connotation to a certain extent. But this picture represents an America that allows you to be muslim and American, and it doesn’t only stop at religious identity but the message I feel transcends through to race, gender, sexuality etc. It doesn’t matter what background you might have America is for all.


The other image I chose that signifies America to me negatively, is a picture of a man with a body placard that reads The American Dream is over. Which I thought was quite significant as it placed an expiry date on a timeless American ideal. The idea of an American Dream is that its never too late and anyone from anywhere can make a good life for themselves. The fact that there is no face in the picture appeared quite sinister to me, but it suggested the message is relatable to any American.


 

No comments: